The Neurosurgery Department at the Saudi German Hospital – Cairo is home for an advanced and sophisticated service providing a full range of neurosurgical practice dedicated to provide prompt and accurate diagnosis and management for patients with neurosurgical disorders. Our eminent neurosurgeons, nurses and staff associates are keen to provide compassionate state-of-the-art medical care. Our approach integrates our neurosurgical expertise into multi-disciplinary teams involving multiple specialties to provide a comprehensive management strategy and rehabilitation services to help patients with neurosurgical illnesses.
The principle sub-specialties of neurosurgery
- Neuro-oncology – the management of brain and spinal tumors.
- Neurovascular surgery – surgeons work closely with interventional colleagues dealing with complex aneurysms and malformations of blood vessels.
- Traumatology – head injury remains a major cause of death and disability in children and young adults. Prompt neurosurgical intervention and neuro-intensive care leads to substantially better outcomes.
- Skull-base surgery – advances in microsurgery, surgical approaches and reconstructions have been incorporated into routine practice of surgeons dealing with disorders of the skull-base and skull base tumors.
- Spinal surgery – covering both spine trauma and degenerative disease of the spine including disc prolapse, cord compression, root compression, spondylosis and spondylolisthesis.
Neurosurgeons undertake operations for a wide range of conditions affecting the central nervous system, the spine and peripheral nerves including:
- The removal of brain, spinal and skull based tumors
- Managing trauma to the head and spine
- Prolapsed discs and other degenerative spinal conditions
- Infections of the brain and spine
- Strokes, in particular hemorrhages due to cerebral (brain) aneurysms and other malformations
- Endovascular intervention for cerebral aneurysm and arteriovenous malformation
- Congenital malformations of the nervous system including spina bifida
- Hydrocephalus and other disturbances of cerebrospinal fluid flow
Neurosurgical supporting facilities include:
- Advanced MRI and Cerebral MRA & MRV
- Advanced CT Scan and CT cerebral Angiography
- Endovascular neurointerventionunit for treatment of brain aneurysms, AVM.
- Advanced Operative Theater with its facilities.
- Electrophysiological Study including EEG and NCV for peripheral nerves
- Zeiss Operative Microscope
- Advanced physical therapy and rehabilitation unit for comprehensive therapy programs performed by experienced physiotherapists
- Chemotherapy Department with inpatient facilities for brain malignant tumors